Monday, November 19, 2007

Henry IV's Role: The Foundations of French Absolutism and Peace?
France was a complete mess when I, Henry IV took the throne. Civil wars, poor harvest, commercial decline, and the verge of starvation of peasants were only a few of the problems I faced when taking control of France. Every one from nobles to peasants just wanted peace and my role was to create peace as best I could. Since then there has been much progress, I decided when I took the throne there should be a "Chicken in every pot" and I made that a promise. I also converted to Catholicism and sought better relations with the pope. I also in hopes of gaining Protestant confidence issued the Edict of Nantes, and made duke of Sully my chief minister. I have been trying my best to keep the peace and I have decided to lower taxes on my poor peasants and in compensation for those lost revenues I have introduced paulette, an annual fee paid by the royal officals. I have lots more to do as contuine my role of absolute peace and rule as king, and has been said that I am one of the only kings since Louis XI who truly cares about my people.

No comments: